#This office receives passport applications from Australian citizens in Colombia and Venezuela.
Passport application interviews at the embassy are offered by appointment only.
Passport appointments are available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 09:00 to 12:00. To make a passport or notarial services appointment, please visit the online booking page for Bogota.
For information on how to apply for an Australian Passport visit www.passports.gov.au.
How to apply
Please follow the steps below to renew or apply for your Australian passport while in Colombia.
Adult passport renewal
For an Adult passport renewal, you must be 18 years and over and you will need a passport that:
- was issued when you were aged 16 or older
- was issued on or after 1 January 2006
- had, when it was issued, at least two years’ validity
- has your current name, date of birth, place of birth and gender, and
- has not been reported lost, stolen, or cancelled.
If you can answer yes to all the above, complete your passport renewal application (PC7) online.
Guide for Adult renewal application (PC7) by mail
1.Complete your renewal application form online
- The application must be lodged within six months of completion
2.Print and sign your application form
- Print your application on plain white A4 paper, using blank ink only. Make sure your form has printed in full and isn't cut off at the top or bottom of the page.
- US standard letter paper or US legal paper sizes are also acceptable, but only if they’re scaled properly. Refer to more information on printing your application form
- Sign the form using black pen, within the signature box. Make sure there are no alterations or whiteout on the signature or the date.
- Two recent identical colour photos, less than six months old with your full name written on the back of one photo. Refer to photo guidelines for more information
- Do NOT attach the photos to the form as this may damage them
- You can pay depositing the amount on our bank account. When your application is ready, send an email at [email protected] requesting fee payment instructions.
- We can also send you a payment link. If you prefer this option, please send us the application package and we will contact you once we receive it.
5.Post your application
- Post your application here
Embajada de Australia en Colombia
Avenida Carrera 9 # 115-06 Of. 2003
Edificio Tierra Firme
6.How long will it take?
- Please allow a minimum of eight weeks to receive a new passport once payment has been taken. PLEASE NOTE incomplete applications will cause delays.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I send my current passport with the renewal application?
- How will I know if/when my application has been received at post?
Unless you are contacted directly about your passport application and have acknowledgement of payment in your bank records is confirmation your application has been received.
- What if I need to travel urgently, but already mailed in my renewal application?
Please contact us ([email protected] or +57 601 6578030) to discuss options.
- Will the mission post my new passport to me?
Your new passport will be posted to the postal address provided on your passport renewal application form (PC7). If your circumstances have since changed, please contact the mission where you mailed your application to discuss alternative options.
- What if I cannot access the online portal to complete and print my PC7 renewal application
Contact your nearest Australian mission to request a pre-filled PC7 renewal form can be emailed to you.
All other passport applications must be lodged in person.
Step by step instructions
You will need to create an account first.
2. Sign and date your form using Australian Date Format (DD/MM/YYYY).
Make sure all sections are signed before your interview. Passport staff cannot witness signatures. Check there are no alterations to signatures or dates. Applications containing overwritten dates cannot be accepted.
3. Obtain two passport photos.
Carefully check the photo specifications as poor photos are the most common reason an application cannot be accepted.
4. Prepare for your interview.
5. Lodge your application in person at the Australian Embassy in Bogota
* All adult non-renewal applications must be lodged in person.
* For child applications, at least one parent (or person with parental responsibility) must lodge the application in person. It does not matter whether the lodging person is an Australian citizen.
* Children aged 16 and 17 years old must attend the interview, together with at least one parent.
* Children aged 15 years and younger are not required to attend the interview.
* Book the appointment at our online booking page.
6. Allow around 6 weeks to receive your new passport.
Please allow a minimum of eight weeks to receive a new passport once payment has been taken. PLEASE NOTE incomplete applications will cause delays.
If you have any questions, call the Embassy at +57 6016578030.
If you need to travel urgently, please advise your interviewing officer when you lodge your application. Please bring printed evidence of your need to travel (eg. a letter from your employer, medical evidence, airline tickets, etc). This evidence should be in hard copy form (i.e. not on your phone).
You may be eligible for an Emergency Passport for an additional fee. An Emergency Passport is usually issued within 2-3 working days after all requirements are met. Some applications, such as child applications without full consent or for children born through surrogacy, require additional processing time.
Please note that not everyone is eligible for an Emergency Passport. You should discuss your eligibility with your interviewer before making any travel plans that cannot be changed.
What is an emergency passport?
An Emergency Passport has four visa pages and the validity will be limited to meet your immediate travel needs. It does not contain a chip and cannot be used to enter or transit the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA).
Other countries may not accept Emergency Passports to enter. You should check with the embassy of that country if it can be used to enter. This also applies for countries that requires a visa. You should always check with the embassy of that country whether a visa can be issued in an Emergency Passport and if there is a minimum validity required for the passport.
Adding an emergency passport to your application
If you apply for both a regular passport and Emergency Passport at your interview, you can do this using the same application form. No additional application form is necessary.
You must present the Emergency Passport to receive your Full Validity Passport.
Can I add an emergency passport to my application later?
Yes. If your travel date moves up or your passport isn't ready in time for your travel, you can add an Emergency Passport to your existing application for an additional fee. This option only applies to people whose regular passport applications are still in progress with our office and who need to travel urgently.
To request an Emergency Passport be added to a current application:
- Send an email to us ([email protected]) about the nature of your urgent travel - please send this from the email address you listed on your application form
- Provide the full name and date of birth for the person who needs the Emergency Passport (Note: you can only request this for yourself or your minor child)
- Attach evidence of your upcoming travel (e.g. tickets or letter from employer)
Your request will be reviewed and if you are eligible for an Emergency Passport, your lodging office will email you a letter that you need to sign and return by email. You will also receive the payment instructions.
We recommend that you do this no later that 3-4 working days prior to your departure date (or longer if you need the emergency passport to be delivered to your address). If you submit a request with less notice, we will make our best effort to issue your Emergency Passport before your travel however this may not be possible.
For child applications without full consent or for children born through surrogacy, please allow additional time
All Australians citizens must lodge their passport application in person. We are not able to accept applications by mail or courier. This helps us to protect you, by protecting the security and integrity of your Australian passport.
Please note that child applications should be lodged in person by a parent or person with parental responsibility for the child. The parent or person lodging the application is not required to be an Australian citizen, but will need to bring photographic proof of their own identity to the appointment.
Visiting our offices during COVID-19
- You must have an appointment to visit our offices.
- If you have a fever, cough or any COVID-19 symptoms, please reschedule your appointment. Please do not attend our offices if you are ill or if you have had recent exposure to someone who is ill.
- Please do not bring friends or family members to your appointment. If you are applying for a child passport, both parents are welcome to attend.